Tuesday, 1 March 2016

Antarctica in the log

RI1ANR

20m CW - 100W

I saw them on the cluster last Friday afternoon. I have listened out for them a few times as this was the last Continent I was missing, but they were always weak on my wire antenna or with a significant pile up. I was not able to hear them during the late afternoon but I checked back at around 18.30z when it was dark and there they were 579 peaking 599 calling CQ lonely. First call on the doublet, they went back straight to me.

Antarctica Novo Runway Airbase

It was nice to receive the LOTW a few hours later.

LOTW confirmation

I am still missing CQ zones: 1,2,6, 12, 26, 31. 



6 comments:

  1. Congrats Angel, Antarctica is not a easy continent. I only miss CQ zone 31, have spoken to a station there but haven't got it confirmed. 73, Bas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bas, CQ zone 31 & 1 are tough from here due to the path through the North Pole. 12,26 I have heard but not been able to work. 2 & 6 probably not that difficult but I have not heard so far in the last year.
      My doublet favors N/S directions - so the East/West paths are not that easy.
      73 Angel

      Delete
  2. WOW your planning sure did pay off and with time you made the contact congrats!
    73, Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike, thanks for the comment. It was more a matter of "keep on checking and luck" than planning I would say, but I am very pleased nonetheless.
      73 Angel

      Delete
  3. Hello Angel, congrats on the QSO and QSL. FB. 73, Bert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bert. Congrats on your QSO with R0AA @ UBA DX with your cylinder dipole and QRP. 73 Angel

      Delete